Translate

Monday, April 16, 2012

Review of "Whisper Walker", Book One of the Whisper Walker Series

By now, you should all know that I love the YA genre. Long before I started my own work, I read YA books voraciously, and that hasn't changed a bit (Even though I can no longer even remotely be considered a YA myself!)

Recently, I was allowed to read a very exciting book before it even hit the "shelves," a term we must now apply metaphorically to all discussion of published works. Up and coming author London Cole has created the start of a series of dystopian adventure novels that I think you, your teenagers, and their friends should read. The synopsis of Book One has been provided here:


After turning seventeen, orphan Drake Adair discovers he can see ghosts when he falls into a pit of human remains while running for his life. What he doesn't realize is that he's stumbled onto his destiny. Kelsie Blake, Drake's roommate and closest friend since she fled her filicidal father, has secrets. Secrets she keeps even from Drake. Sneaking outside the Gates into the wild, she risks everything for a little excitement. Her lies now threaten everything she cares about most in her life.
Drake unearths a plot by an enemy Guild to tear apart life as he knows it. The very people closest to him may be pawns in the grisly scheme, leaving Kelsie and Drake with no one to turn to as they struggle to find answers before it's too late.

Set eighty years after World War III, Kelsie and Drake pair up to protect the only life they know in a harsh and unforgiving world. They must each come to grips with his abilities, her secrets, and their mixed feelings for each other. Will they make it? Or will the very foundations of their lives be ripped from beneath them.


So now that you are thinking, "Hmm. Maybe I should check this out..." Allow me to further sway you. I have a mini-interview with the author himself!

Me: What is your favorite part of Whisper Walker?

London Cole: Hmm. Favorite part, ehh? I would have to say the first fight scene Kelsie is in. Though {the scene} when the ghost Samantha showed up was fun to write.

Me: If you could hang out with Drake and Kelsie for 24 hours, what would you most want to do with them?

London Cole: Gah, this is a toughie. I personally would rather hang out with Kelsie. I kinda think Drake is a stuck up goody-two-shoes. But, if I had to hang out with both of them, I'd take them paint-balling. That would be pretty awesome as I got my ass handed to me by Kelsie and Drake. Of course, I might be able to convince Kelsie to join me and go double against Drake.

Me: Is there a "teaser" you'd like to share with us for Book 2 of the series?

London Cole: I just decided that I might start the book from an earlier point than I have it already. I can also say that I introduce two new and important characters, as well as new paranormal creatures. It's going to be a hell of a ride and will probably end up being  longer than WHISPER WALKER.

My review of the book, overall, is as follows~

In a post-apocalyptic world, Kelsie and Drake are forced to unite at a very young age and depend on each other for survival. As the years pass, they are presented with an ever growing list of challenges. This story is so much more than a fantasy adventure, as it explores what it means to discover first love, and confront the terrifying history of your own family.
The story gathers speed as it goes along, and I found my finger clicking the "next page" button of its own volition. There is something for everyone- good action scenes, a blossoming romance, secrets and lies, a mystery to be solved, and the very real possibility of death at the hands of an evil plotter!

I enjoyed the point of view delineation of each chapter as the author skillfully gives us insight into both Drake and Kelsie.

This is a fantastic adventure suitable for teens and the young at heart. I am looking forward to seeing what debut author London Cole has in store for us next!


Many thanks to London for sharing his book with me and the rest of the world, and taking the time to give us his thoughts on his creation! You can visit his website here:


The links to purchase Whisper Walker at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com can also be found on his website.


2 comments:

  1. It was such a great book! Great review Rebecca... and interview:) Can't wait for the next book Londan has in store for us!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Lucy! I'm also very excited to read what's coming next...*whispers* I hear there might be more kissing!! :D

      Delete